Thursday, July 26, 2007

Unit 4 Lab Project: List of Species

List of Species:
1.
a) Scientific name: Tibicen sp.
b) Common name: Cicada
c) Interaction according to ecological principles: commensal: There are a ton of Cicadas in my backyard, but I hear them more than I see them. I happened to catch one on one of my fruit trees and was very excited to show my daughter her first sighting of a new insect. The relationship between the Cicada and me is commensal, because the Cicada was happily resting on a tree and I just observed it.
d) No, I do not think this is a domesticated species, because it lives underground for seventeen years, receiving its nutrients from the roots of trees. And, when they finally come out of the ground, I do not know of any human use for them.
2.
a). Scientific name: Homo sapien
b). Common name: Human
c). Interaction according to ecological principals: symbiotic: The relationship between my daughter and myself is symbiotic, because I am helping aid her into adulthood with values, strength, confidence, love, and respect and she is teaching new insights about life each and every day. We are both benefiting from one another for the best means of survival.
d). Yes, I do think this is a domesticated species, because Homo sapiens have evolved to living in separate homes from one another and living off the supermarket, instead of living off the land.
3.
a). Scientific name: Euschistus servus
b). Common name: Brown Stink Bug
c). Interaction according to ecological principals: predation: Unfortunately, my step dad sprayed insecticide along the perimeter of the house, so most of the insects that travel along the proximity of the house, end up keeling over by the next day. I found the Brown Stink Bug on its back, dead as a doornail. The relationship is predation, because of the use of insecticide to kill off the remaining insects around the outside of the house and this situation is definitely parasitic, instead of mutualistic.
d). Yes, I do think this species is domesticated, because it seems to always be lingering around the human species living areas. And, if the species feels threatened, it can help ward off any unwanted insects that people may not want in their homes.
4.
a). Scientific name: Quercus petraea
b). Common name: Evergreen Oak Tree
c). Interaction according to ecological principals: symbiotic: The relationship between the Evergreen Oak tree and myself is symbiotic, because we both benefit. This oak tree provides shade in the heat of summer, keeping the internal and external of the house nice and cool, and provides shelter during moments of precipitation. And, the oak tree receives nourishment of regular watering by the nearby hose.
d). Yes, I do think this species is domesticated, because it is used for building many varieties of shelter, furniture, etc., and the oak tree is allowing itself to be known by its seeds and production process.
5.
a). Scientific name: Dermatophagoides pteronyssimis
b). Common name: House Dust Mite
c). Interaction according to ecological principals: parasitic: The relationship between the dust mites and myself is parasitic, because I have an allergic reaction to dust, which makes my body respond with sneezing, coughing, and itchy eyes. I do not receive any benefits from this kind of reaction, but the dust mites are able to have a new home of my internal body.
d). Yes, I do think this species is domesticated, because it is everywhere in my house! It seems like this species thrives off of clutter, which I have a lot of.
6.
a). Scientific name: Sodium tallowate
b). Common name: Rendered beef fat that aids in creation of soap scum
c). Interaction according to ecological principals: mutualism: The relationship between the soap scum and me is mutualistic, in regards to the species of cows. This relationship allows for this species to be produced at a higher rate than normal and allows for the skin to thoroughly clean. Unfortunately, this species has undergone a lot of unnecessary torture and death from factory farms and slaughterhouses to produce the ingredient of beef fat and other things.
d). Yes, I do think that species is domesticated, because it is a major animal of livestock production. They allow for food and an ingredient in soap that created the soap scum in my bathtub.
7.
a). Scientific name: Helix aspersa Muller
b). Common name: Garden Snail
c). Interaction according to ecological principals: commensal: The relationship between the Garden Snail and me is commensal, because it was benefiting from the previous rainfall in my backyard, while I just observed it from afar.
d). Yes, I do think this species is domesticated, because it thrives off of gardens, hence the name “garden snail.”
8.
a). Scientific name: unknown
b). Common name: Lizard in backyard
c). Interaction according to ecological principals: commensal: The relationship between the lizard and me is commensal, because it benefits from my backyard as I just observed from afar. I was actually really surprised to see this lizard, because it appeared out of nowhere as I was walking by my pond. It definitely had some interesting physical characteristics, but the species of what kind of lizard it is I do not know.
d). No, I do not think this species is domesticated, because I rarely see this type of lizard around and I could not even find a name for it underneath Arizona lizards. It definitely is more of a “wild” species.
9.
a). Scientific name: Ulva australis
b). Common name: Algae
c). Interaction according to ecological principals: commensal: The relationship between the algae and me is commensal, because its survival benefits from the birdbath in my backyard, but does not impose any harm upon myself (unless it had any harmful bacteria within it and I ingested it).
d). Yes, I do think this species is domesticated, because it is “all the rage” in the health food area and is everywhere in health food markets.
10.
a). Scientific name: Basidiomycetes
b). Common name: Lawn Mushroom
c). Interaction according to ecological principals: commensal: The relationship between the Lawn Mushroom and me is commensal, because it benefits from the ground of my backyard for reproduction and survival, while I just observed. I could potentially use it for food though, but I would not dare, because I do not have the knowledge of whether it is edible or not.
d). No, I do not think this species is domesticated, because it can be hunted within its own environment and possibly used for food by humans or other animals.
11.
a). Scientific name: Opuntia
b). Common name: Prickly Pear Cactus
c). Interaction according to ecological principals: commensal: The relationship between the prickly pear cactus and me is commensal, because it is able survive within the remnants of my backyard, while I just observed its placement. But, I can use its prickly pear as a source of food or, I could have the possibility of being harmed due to its needle-like stickers.
d). No, I do not think this species is domesticated, because it is a native plant of the Arizona desert and eating the prickly pears is not very common.
12.
a). Scientific name: Solenopsis invicta Buren
b). Common name: Red Fire Ant
c). Interaction according to ecological principals: mutualism: commensal: The relationship between the red fire ants and myself is commensal, because they are able to use the environment of my backyard for their home and food source, while I just observed their actions. They do have a nasty bite though and could cause harm to be if they felt I was causing harm to them.
d). Yes, I do think this species is domesticated, because they thrive off of human food and they provide some benefits to humans by dragging of decaying matter of insects and animals.
13.
a). Scientific name: Carassius auratus
b). Common name: Goldfish
c). Interaction according to ecological principals: symbiotic: The relationship between the goldfish and myself is symbiotic, they benefit from an adequate shelter of my backyard pond and on-hand food. And, I have the responsibility to care for them and view them for a calming means of relaxation.
d). Yes, I do think this species is domesticated, because they are widely used as household pets.
14.
a). Scientific name: Felis catus
b). Common name: Cat
c). Interaction according to ecological principals: symbiotic: The relationship between my cat, Monte, and myself is symbiotic, because we both reap benefits from one another. Monte is able to have a safe home, a plentiful source of food and water, and a loving family. And, Monte provides my home with protection from unknown animals (hissing and clawing the life out of them), capturing of insects in the house, and good company.
d). Yes, I do think this species is domesticated, because they are widely used as household pets.

15.
a). Scientific name: Shigella flexneri
b). Common name: bacteria in gastrointestinal tract
c). Interaction according to ecological principals: parasitic: The relationship between the bacteria and myself was parasitic, because it was located within my gastrointestinal tract, causing adverse reactions of diarrhea. It was definitely benefiting from my body’s interior, where I was in pain and distress.
d). Yes, I do think this species is domesticated, because it is studied within laboratory settings, allowing for a safe environment for plentiful reproduction.

16.
a) Scientific name: Coleoptera
b) Common name: Water Scavenger Beetle
c). Interaction according to ecological principals: commensal: The relationship between the water scavenger beetle and me is commensal, because it is provided a safe environment of the pond in my backyard, while I just observed.
d). No, I do not think this species is domesticated, because I tend to see them more in the creeks and riverbeds in the forests, rather than in my daughter’s homemade puddles.
17.
a). Scientific name: Corgnebacterium tuberculostearicum
b). Common name: bacteria on forearm killed by anti-bacterial soap
c). Interaction according to ecological principals: parasitic: The relationship between the bacteria and myself is parasitic, because the bacteria benefits from the skin on my forearm as a safe habitat, where I run the potential of eventually getting the common cold. But, I did kill it by using antibacterial soap, so then the positions in the relationship switch.
d). Yes, I do think this species is domesticated, because it is studied within the laboratory setting, allowing for the species to reproduce at a greater rate within a safe setting.
18.
a) Scientific name: Streptococcus mutans
b). Common name: bacteria that cause tooth decay in mouth
c). Interaction according to ecological principals: parasitic: The relationship between the bacteria in mouth and myself is parasitic, because the bacteria has created three cavities in my teeth that need to be taken care of by my dentist. This is beneficial for the bacteria, because it can keep creating the possibility of tooth decay in my weaker areas in my teeth, but they can be killed of by toothpaste. And, I obviously do not benefit, because if it is not taken care of, I could cause more damage.
d). Yes, I do think this species is domesticated, because it is studied within the laboratory setting, allowing for the species to reproduce at a greater rate within a safe setting.
19.
a). Scientific name: Lactobacillus acidophilus
b). Common name: Active culture in yogurt
c). Interaction according to ecological principals: symbiotic: The relationship between the active culture in yogurt and myself is symbiotic, because we both benefit. The active culture in the yogurt is ingested and is provided a perfect environment to promote its purpose and growth. And, I am allowed the benefit of building intestinal flora from the active culture (within my body) that aids my health in the present and future.
d). Yes, I do think this species is domesticated, because it is used in food and is also studied in a laboratory setting.
20.
a) Scientific name: Turdus migratorius
b). Common name: Robin Red-Breast
c). Interaction according to ecological principals: commensal: The relationship between the robin and myself is commensal, because the robin benefits from the environment of my backyard, while I am left unharmed and am just observing.
d). No, I do not think this species is domesticated, because it survives in more of a “wild” setting, but does benefit from human care of providing food and water.
21.
a). Scientific name: Corvus crytoleucus
b). Common name: Raven
c). Interaction according to ecological principals: commensal: The relationship between the raven and me is commensal, because the raven benefits from the environment of my backyard, while I just observed and am left unharmed.
d). No, I do not think this species is domesticated, because it survives in more of a “wild” setting, but does benefit from human care of providing food and water.
22.
a). Scientific name: Triticum spp.
b). Common name: wheat in bread
c). Interaction according to ecological principals: mutualism: The relationship between the wheat in bread and myself is mutualistic, because it allows for the species to be produced at a higher rate, but is ingested by other animals, such as myself, for nourishment.
d). Yes, I do think this species is domesticated, because it is used in agriculture for food and this provides an environment for rapid and safe reproduction.

23. a). Scientific name: Maizzea mays I
b). Common name: corn in cereal
c). Interaction according to ecological principals: mutualism: The relationship between the corn in cereal and me is mutualistic, because it allows for the corn to be reproduced at a higher rate, but is eaten by myself for nourishment.
d). Yes, I do think this species is domesticated, because it is used for food and this species benefits from that, due to the rapid and safe possibility of reproduction.
24.
a). Scientific name: Avena sativa L.
b). Common name: oats in granola bar
c). Interaction according to ecological principals: mutualism: The relationship between the oats in the granola bar and myself is mutualistic, because it allows for the species to be produced at a higher rate, but is ingested by other animals, such as myself, for nourishment.
d). Yes, I do think this species is domesticated, because it is used in agriculture for food and this provides an environment for rapid and safe reproduction.
25.
a). Scientific name: Vaccinium sp.
b). Common name: Blueberries
c). Interaction according to ecological principals: mutualism: The relationship between the blueberries and me is mutualistic, because it allows for the species to be produced at a higher rate, but is ingested by myself for adequate nutrients and nourishment.
d). Yes, I do think this species is domesticated, because it is used in agriculture for food, providing an environment for rapid and safe reproduction.
26.
a). Scientific name: Citrullus vulgarius schard
b). Common name: Watermelon
c). Interaction according to ecological principals: mutualism: The relationship between the watermelon and me is mutualistic, it is ingested by me for adequate nutrients for my body and it allows for the species to be produced at a higher rate.
d). Yes, I do think this species is domesticated, because it is used in agriculture for food, providing an environment for rapid and safe reproduction.
27.
a). Scientific name: Vitis labrusca
b). Common name: Flame seedless table grapes
c). Interaction according to ecological principals: mutualism: The relationship between the flame seedless table grapes and myself is mutualistic, because they are eaten by myself for adequate nutrients for my body and it allows for the species to be produced at a higher rate.
d). Yes, I do think this species is domesticated, because it is used in agriculture for food, providing an environment for rapid and safe reproduction.
28.
a). Scientific name: Dernodex folliculorum
b). Common name: Tiny mite in eyelashes
c). Interaction according to ecological principals: commensal: The relationship between the tiny mite in my eyelashes and me is commensal, because it benefits from my body as a place for adequate survival and I am left unharmed. It especially benefits from my eyelashes when I apply mascara to my eyelashes, providing instant food.
d). Yes, I do thin this species is domesticated, because it is studied within a laboratory setting, allowing it to reproduce at a faster rate.
29.
a). Scientific name: Pinus ponderosa
b). Common name: Ponderosa pine
c). Interaction according to ecological principals: symbiotic: The relationship between the ponderosa pine and myself is symbiotic, because we both benefit. This ponderosa pine provides shade, keeping the inside and outside of the house cool, and provides shelter during precipitation. And, the ponderosa pine receives nourishment of regular watering by my continuous care.
d). Yes, I do think this species is domesticated, because it used for several different things such as: furniture, homes, Christmas trees, etc.
30.
a). Scientific name: Gallus gallus
b). Common name: chicken on sandwich
c). Interaction according to ecological principals: mutualism: The relationship between the chicken on my sandwich and me is mutualistic, in regards to the species of chickens. This relationship allows for this species to be produced at a higher rate than normal and allows for my body to be nourished. Unfortunately, this species has undergone a lot of unnecessary torture and death from factory farms and slaughterhouses to produce large amounts of poultry.
d). Yes, I do think that species is domesticated, because it is a major animal of livestock production.
















No comments: