Saturday, June 30, 2007

Self and Unit Evaluation #2 for Unit 2

REGARDING YOUR OWN PERFORMANCE

1. What were the three aspects of the assignments I've submitted that I am most proud of?
The three aspects of the assignments I’ve submitted that I am most proud of are my first compendium review, my blood pressure lab, and my ethical issue paper about what food is. I felt like I provided thorough information in each of these assignments, that I really understood the information researched, and I really enjoyed putting the pictures in the assignments.

2. What two aspects of my submitted assignments do I believe could have used some improvement?
The two assignments that I believe could have used some improvement were my second compendium review and my lab project. I felt that in my nutrition compendium review that I was leaving a lot of information out. And, I felt like I did not put enough time into the metabolic rates lab project.

3. What do I believe my overall grade should be for this unit?
I believe that my overall grade for this unit should at least be an A. Although, I felt like did not put enough time or effort into a couple of my assignments, I did try to provide exemplary work.

4. How could I perform better in the next unit?
I can perform better in the next unit by putting in more time to the lab project.


REGARDING THE UNIT (adapted from Stephen Brookfield, University of St. Thomas "Critical Incident Questionnaire")

At what moment during this unit did you feel most engaged with the course?
The moment that I felt most engaged with the course was during the blood pressure and nutrition labs. I always really enjoy doing the labs, because it puts the information that is being researched, into a hands-on learning experience. It was interesting when I performed the blood pressure experiment to see if gender and age effected blood pressure and what the outcomes would be. And, it was interesting to see exactly how much of what I was getting from the foods I was eating.

At what moment unit did you feel most distanced from the course?
The moment that I felt most distanced from the course was when I first started reading about the circulatory system. At first, the information was just going right over my head, because, visually, I couldn’t understand what was happening with that system.

What action that anyone (teacher or student) took during this unit that I find most affirming and helpful?
The action that I took during this unit that I found most affirming and helpful was viewing pictures on the textbook’s Website. I was really confused about how the cardiovascular system worked, so I checked out some visual learning materials on the Internet to see how the circulatory system worked in accordance with the heart and the rest of the body. After that, I had a better understanding of how it occurred.

What action that anyone (teacher or student) took during this unit did you find most puzzling or confusing?
During this unit, I did not find any action that was puzzling or confusing.

What about this unit surprised you the most? (This could be something about your own reactions to the course, something that someone did, or anything else that occurs to you.)
The thing that surprised me the most about this unit were the given articles for the ethical issue essay. Before I had read any of the articles, I was pretty consumed by the commercialization of healthy claims on foods that were actually just processed junk. But, after I read the articles that were provided, I learned a lot about the “nutritionism” babble and different ways that I could actually eat healthier.

No comments: